Thursday, February 9, 2012

Wind-another four letter word I'd rather not hear!



Several weeks ago when I first crossed into Chile the immigration officers
 at the border station of San Sebastian, Argentina and Chile
 let me camp inside the compound out of the wind.
I hitchhiked from here skirting 60 miles of a headwind on a dirt road.
I am in El Calafate, Argentina now. I am close to getting out of the area with horrendous winds and I cannot wait! I have been fighting headwinds and/or crosswinds for most of the trip so far.  Fighting so much so that my arms are getting more of a workout than my legs!  I have not seen so much wind on such a consistent basis (even in Antarctica)!! It blows in Patagonia day after day, night after night, nonstop like crazy!  Only some of southern Patagonia has been beautiful so far but the rest is overrated to cycle through as far as I am concerned. And why would anyone want to live here?
On the side of the road in front of a drainage pipe.
I know, I know, don't pitch a tent in the low spots! But, the odds of getting blown away by wind beat those of a flash flood occurring.

Had I done this trip from North to South it would have been different because much of the travel would be with a tailwind but the time of year when I was financially ready to do the trip did not match starting in Alaska. I knew I would be going against the prevailing winds but I was never prepared for how much wind existed here. Either way, in spite of it all, I do like the idea that I am riding home. :)
I have hitchhiked 3 times now because the wind has been too strong to ride. In these cases I have not been able to keep the bike upright and setting up a tent to wait it out was not an option as there is no place to get refuge from the wind.  I am not concerned with the "cheating" aspect of hitchhiking. I have not met any cyclists that have not hitchhiked and most of them are coming south where a lot of the wind is in their favor.

Miles and miles of nothing!

Second place where I had to pitch in front of a drainage pipe.
Didn't camp here!
Next leg of the trip is the Carretara Austral which has been reported as being stunning so I am very excited!



3 comments:

  1. It's about the journey not the bike. I'm guessing you probably had some interesting experiences with who ever picked you up. Or maybe it was as simple as hanging in the back of a pick up truck and nodding your head in gratitude. That's where the stories are, more than how many miles you rode. It's about Emelio and his family, Papa Noel, Muchie, sharing peanut butter with fellow hitchhikers, fighting over food with a Southern Crested Caracara bird, and sleeping in a ditch.

    You're doing great Mrs. HollyWouldWonderWoman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the support Karen and Dwight! I agree, and yes, I have had interesting experiences hitchhiking too (on other trips too). You never know who you will run across. In the end it is usually the people I have met that I remember the most. Regardless, I would've liked not to have wind so much though, it is demoralizing!

      Delete
  2. Yes, what Karen said! I think it's great! I check regularly for updates.

    ReplyDelete