Thursday, February 9, 2012

Random photos-will add more later.


I've seen a few foxes, this being the closest.
Campsite in Tierra del Fuego National Park
Can anyone tell me the name of this bird? Thanks Karen for finding out it is a Southern Crested Cara Cara
Camping in the trees off the road.
These hidden little sites are along the way before there are no more trees.
After that it is wide open nothing!


Just me and my shadow...


Camping with Matthias-a German cyclist I met.
I was able to draft off of him for a day-he made a great wind blocker!

A store room at a ranch where the owner offered for
me to stay when I asked if I could camp near the ranch.

Camping in a woman named Maria´s backyard. She let me camp here as it was one of the few places
 somewhat sheltered from the wind in Cerro Castillo, near Puerto Natales

Fiesta de Chillena-a rodeo of sorts that I attended for two days in Cerro Castillo



Walter-my host at the road maintenance facility. He let me stay in the workers spare bunk room when I asked if I could camp near the building for shelter.  He cooked me a great dinner too!

Vulture and condor? Look at the size of these birds compared to that sheep carcass!

Guanaco-relatives of the llama and alpaca-likethe wild
version of those domesticated counterparts. 

Ñandu-relative to the ostrich

Radio phones located around parts of Patagonia on the remote roads.
Cell  service does not exist here.

Policeman Fabian cooking dinner for me at the police station where
 I stayed the night;again after asking if I could camp in the yard.

The family that picked me up hitchhiking on a particularly windy day!

Nothing like stating the obvious. But there are no palm trees here!

Armadillo that crossed the road in front of me.
Sign on bathroom door in cafe in El Chalten!

A traditional Argentine campo barbeque that I was invited to attend by a fellow cyclists who found out about this guy who lets cyclists camp in his yard and often has barbeques and parties. The food was yummy!

My own barbeque in a refugio set up for anyone to use near the road. It is kind of hidden but a campground owner in another town told me how to find it. I could have lived here, it was so cute, with an outhouse out back.

Looking back on a grueling climb

I got to milk a cow at a ranch that had a camp spot on the property.

The very nice owner, Marisol, gave me the milk for my work after she boiled it. Yummy!

Catedral de Marmol-a set of cavelike formations in the rock that supposedly make one think of a cathedral. 

This one looks like a dog´s head. Why do they always do that with rock formations?
Why can´t it just look like a cool rock?

More designs in the rock.

This place totally reminded me of places in Asia (namely Thailand)
except the water in those caves/formations isn´t from a glacier like this water.

Yup, glacial blue water, very cold!


I love these signs. They always state the obvious but at least they are interesting to look at since they change up the vehicle every once in a while. So is it personal preference of the inmate that is working the sign machine as to which vehicle gets used?









4 comments:

  1. I think the bird is a Southern Crested Caracara (Caracara plancus), also known as the Southern Caracara, is a bird of prey in the family Falconidae. I found it on Wikipedia:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Crested_Caracara

    "Behavior: A bold, opportunistic raptor, the Southern Crested Caracara is often seen walking around on the ground looking for food. It mainly feeds on carcasses of dead animals, but will steal food from other raptors, raid bird nests, and take live prey if the possibility arises..."

    Has one been trying to steal your food?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are such a good little researcher! Thanks, I believe that is the bird! I knew it was a raptor of some sort but weird how it does walk on the ground a lot. No, not trying to steal food. It is interesting how this bird appears often when I am cycling up a long hill, exhausted and maybe looking like a dead carcass???? :)

      Delete
  2. Holly! Glad to see you are underway. I hope things are going well, and the wind is improving:) I had forgotten your blog title and then finally remembered Hollywould not Hollywood! Just know that I am now officially stalking you...in a good way of course. Leaving for Palmer in two weeks, but I'll be following your updates. Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Holly...good work on covering those miles in the wind!
    It's not about the destination but the journey...or something like that.
    Enjoy be safe!
    Take care
    Tara

    ReplyDelete