Sunday, December 25, 2011

The goal, the plan, the execution!

Hola and Feliz Navidad from Argentina!!!
Some of you are new to me as I may have just met you on the road or we may have lost touch but thanks for joining me on my journey!
Here is a short synopsis of the makings of this trip/blog:
  • Hollywood was a name given to me by a coworker in Antarctica (United States Antarctic Research Station of McMurdo) in 2005 and modified by me to the current spelling of Hollywould a couple of years ago.
  • This bike trip was dreamed of by my friend, Kim, probably about 4 years ago. At the time Kim was intending to join me on the trip but current life situations don't allow for that now.
  • A year and a half or so ago I got serious about making this trip finally happen. My friend Andy Martinez (I forgive you Andy, lol) came up with the idea of spending 13 months straight working in Antarctica (instead of my usual summer there of 4.5 months per year) because staying in Antarctica for both my usual summer and then the winter offered me a way to save money (not such great pay but just having nowhere to spend it).  This was drastic for me because I hate WINTER! I applied for a winter job anyway and landed a position and arrived at South Pole Station at the last minute possible before the station closed of all flights in and out for the 8-9 months of winter.
  • Leaving the South Pole on a DC-3 Basler aircraft
  • After being "on the Ice" ( the nickname us workers affectionately give to Antarctica) for exactly 13 months I flew home via New Zealand to Alaska and flew south again with my gear, bike and friend Kim to Ushuaia, Argentina.  Talk about a carbon footprint! Ushuaia is advertised as Fin del Mundo (the end of the world) but the advertisers have obviously never spent a winter at the South Pole! Well at least Ushuaia was to be the "end of the road!"
  • Kim has since flown home to Alaska and I am now heading home too but via bicycle!  Estimated time of arrival home in Alaska about 20 months from now or August 2013 (or when my money runs out OR I stop having fun).
  • Thanks to everyone who has made this trip possible, for their encouragement, support, and ideas and for taking care of my stuff while I am out living this dream!  I couldn't make it happen without all of you!
  • Now it is off into the wild blue yonder...

No comments:

Post a Comment